Ann Morgan, the café manager at Phillips Middle School was named National Associate of the Year for Chartwells K12, the foodservice provider for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools. This award recognizes associates who go the extra mile in their school cafes. Morgan has demonstrated her commitment to her students and her school time and again during her 20 years as the café manager at Phillips.Under Morgan's leadership, Phillips café has:
- allowing classes to create their own pizza recipes, vote on their favorite and eat the winning pie during lunch; creations such as "Mac & Cheese Pizza" and "Fruit Pizza" are still served;
- celebrating National Nutrition Month (in March) by having students create edible garnishes around Chartwells' Asian noodle bowl, even providing gift baskets out of her own pocket for the winning teams; and
- involving her school in many activities, which shows in meal participation at Phillips - everyone loves to eat at Phillips Café; students sample many new foods, from sweet potato medley (three colors of sweet potatoes) to a wheatberry black bean salad.
"We are so pleased that all of Chartwells K12 now knows what we do - that Ann's excitement, fun and caring for her school and students is second to none," said Liz Cartano, director of child nutrition. "She is never without a smile and a suggestion about how to improve what we do every day. She pushes us to be better and has great ideas that she is willing to implement."
Morgan's nomination had to consider her contributions to her associates, school, community, and, most of all, her students. Some excerpts from her nomination state:
- Ann Morgan's mind never stops working and that is no more evident than with her creative ideas to improve menus, recipes and promotions.
- She is a phenomenal trainer for new staff. She provides her associates with knowledge and confidence for them to succeed.
- Ann Morgan's number one goal is to provide healthy, nourishing food for her middle school students. She effortlessly combines her knack for creativity, friendliness with everyone, and never-ending enthusiasm and zest for her school in all that she does.
"Ann Morgan embodies the Eat.Learn.Live philosophy [Chartwells K12's motto] in all that she does. Our promotions are stronger, our menus are healthier, and our associates are better trained because of Ann's ability to impact so many people through her enthusiasm and good deeds," Cartano added.
As the national award winner, Morgan will attend the Compass Night of Stars in October and receives an all-expenses paid three-day trip to Disney World to celebrate her success.