Video here: WZZM-TV ABC 13
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Teaching your kids the importance of of growing their own fruits and vegetables is a good way to enjoy seasonal food during the summer.
Chef Jennifer Brower cooks nutritious meals for nearly 170 school districts -- most of them right here in Michigan.
Chef Jennifer is the Regional Executive Chef of the Great Lakes Region at Chartwells K-12. She ensures more than 500,000 students are fed each day.
Chef Jennifer lives on 24 acres in Hopkins, 30 miles outside of Grand Rapids, with a 20 x 50 foot garden that she uses to find inspiration when planning menus and encouraging kids to try new and healthy foods.
She joined Meredith TerHaar to demonstrate how to make two easy and fresh recipes straight from the garden.
Incredible Edible Garden Tabbouleh! Serves 4-6
- 3 cups Quinoa (cooked) Red or White, Chilled
- 1+1/2 cup Cucumbers, Fresh, Seeded & Chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes, Fresh, Diced
- 1+1/2 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 cup Chopped Fresh Mint
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, Minced
- 1 TBSP Garlic, Fresh, Minced
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 TBSP Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin, dry, ground
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, fine ground
1.Wash & prepare all produce items.
2.Whisk together lemon & lime juice, olive oil, sea salt,cumin & black pepper.
3.Pour dressing over chilled, cooked Quinoa, toss without mushing.
4.Fold in chopped cucumbers, diced tomatoes,chopped parsley & mint, minced red onion & garlic.
5.Keep chilled until ready to serve.
6.Serve with Pita chips, in a lettuce boat, or on top ofyour favorite mixed greens.
Peachy Keen Roasted Corn Summer Salsa Serves 4-6
- 1.5 cups Corn, Roasted, fresh off a cob (approx. 2 large
- 1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper-Fresh, Diced small
- 1/4 cup Red Bell Peppers-Fresh, Diced Small
- 1/4 cup Red Onion-Fresh, Diced small
- 1 TBSP Garlic, Fresh, minced
- 1 cup Tomatoes, fresh, Diced small
- 1 large Peach, fresh, pitted & peeled
- 1 cup Black Beans, Cooked, Rinsed
- 2 TBSP Parsley, Fresh Chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, Fresh, Chopped fine
- 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 3 TBSP Lime Juice
- 1 TBSP Lime Zest
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
1. Wash & air dry all produce before assembly.
2. Roast corn cobs over oven flame or on the grill until
an even char has occurred on the kernels.
3. Carefully cut the kernels from the cob and add into a
large mixing bowl.
4. Add in diced peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes,
parsley, cilantro, and black beans.
5. Remove pit from peach, peel and puree. Add to a
6. Add lemon & lime juice, lime zest, dry pepper flakes,
cumin & sea salt to the peach puree.
7. Fold peach mixture into the large mixing bowl with
the tomatoes, corn, pepper, onion mixture.
8. Chill before serving.
9. Serve over your favorite cooked protein or use as a
healthy snack with corn tortilla chips.