Each semester, Middlebrook eighth graders participate in a Culinary Challenge Competition.
Jack Cromwell, Flynn Crowther, Gabby Horicka, and Tyler Previte of this year’s winning Loaded Dishwashers Team had their Mexican rice and fajita stir-fry meals featured on the school’s lunch menu on Wednesday, May 6.
Here are the recipes for the team’s meals:
- 12 ounces canned, crushed tomatoes.
- 1 medium white onion.
- 3 medium jalapeños.
- 2 cups brown rice.
- 1/3 cup canola oil.
- 4 minced garlic cloves.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced.
- 1 lime.
- Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Process tomato and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups. Discard excess.
- Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapeños and discard. Mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining jalapeño. Set aside.
- Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear — about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed oven-safe 12-inch straight-sided sauté pan or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over low-medium heat for about two minutes. Drop a few rice grains in and — if they sizzle — then it is ready. Add rice and fry, stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Be careful that the oil doesn’t get too hot too fast or the oil will splatter.
- Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and two minced jalapeños and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth, pureed mixture, and salt. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil.
- Cover pan and transfer pan to over to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir well after 15 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, minced jalapeños to taste, and pass lime wedges separately.
Fajita stir fry
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice.
- 2 tablespoons oil.
- 2 teaspoons cumin.
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch.
- Served with: flour tortilla, avocado, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream and cheese.
- Cut chicken into one-inch strips that are 1/8 inches thick.
- Place skillet on high heat. When hot, add one tablespoon oil and stir fry meat until browned.
- Transfer meat to bowl.
- Add one tablespoon oil to skillet and add garlic, onion and red pepper.
- Stir fry until onion is soft, about three minutes.
- Stir together cumin, lime juice and cornstarch, then add to skillet.
- Return meat to pan and stir fry until mixture is hot and bubbles.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Serve in tortillas with garnishments.
From the Wilton Bulletin